Friday, August 6, 2010

Wanted: Creativity

Its been n+486834 months since I last posted... and I believe that most of my classmates are the same. The reason: No blog prompts. Ms Soh doesn't seem to have given us any blog prompts this term. I had a look at my other classmate's blogs and most of their last posts was based on a prompt or an assignment. I spent 2h searching for the prompts on Ms Soh's website and after finding nothing, I tried to think of a topic to write otherwise I'm going to have negative LA ace. Nothing. My mind was clear, but I just couldn't think of any topics. People like Martin(see his amazing blog here http://www.i-suppose-you-blog-at.blogspot.com/) can compose a poem as easily as blinking. Thus, I think the problem is lack of creativity. I am unable to think up of any new ideas and this is a serious problem as I will never be able to improve myself if I cannot think up plans for improvement(and this is affecting me rather badly when I am writing compositions as "those few scenarios" always come up). The rest of the world moves on while I am stationary.

How do I solve this? Since I lack creativity, I...erm...well... can't think of anything to help me. Looks like I have to GOOGLE this. There was an article about some guy who wrote a book called "The Role Of Creativity In Business" on AUGUST 12, 2006(Sim Zhi Xin's 10th birthday). Of course, creativity is not only limited to businesses.Step 1:I will start by quoting some lines from the article.

"We’re all creative. We all have boundless imaginations. We always have"

"Without creative thinking how will the engineering team discover the next breakthrough product? How will the marketing team break out and stand above a crowded market place"

"we’ve had decades of structured learning that tells us to ignore our creative side and to only focus on the logical"

After looking at these quotes, particularly about the education we are receiving, I feel that they are right. Maybe our educational system is not what is best for us. For example, for comprehensions most of the answers can be obtained from the passage given. There is not much thinking involved, and personal response questions are a minority. Maybe it might help if there were more personal response questions because it encourages more thinking. Another quote from the article "Creativity isn’t a special gift – we’re all born with it. It never leaves, it’s just hiding. Look for ways you can let the two year old inside come out and play". This shows that we need more practice to let the creativity come out of us. But of course, we have to start from a young age because my creativity is already buried very deep inside me and by the time I dig it out I will probably be an old man.

I will end of this short post with another quote because I am not creative enough to think of anything fast and I'm struggling to keep awake

"If everyone has the same view, the same ideas, the same approach, the same results then why are all of us still here?"

No comments:

Post a Comment